BiOME Consulting Ltd are seeking a reliable graduate/junior ornithologist to join our team in Shropshire/mid-Wales. This is an ideal opportunity to obtain industry experience as well as work on a variety of exciting conservation projects.
This fixed term role, which will run from 1 April 2021 until 30 September 2021 (although flexibility is possible), would provide an excellent route into ecological consultancy or conservation sectors for the right candidate.
You will work closely with other ornithology/ecology team members to help deliver surveys to a high standard. The core duties of the role will be:
- Delivery of survey work for conservation projects in relation to Eurasian Curlew and breeding upland passerines.
- Completion of ornithological survey work to inform renewable energy projects (both pre-consent and post-construction).
- Survey data analysis and baseline reporting.
Other duties may include:
- Digitisation and management of datasets using GIS.
- Completion of Extended Phase 1 Habitat Surveys/Preliminary Ecological Appraisals.
- Completion of protected species surveys, including bat surveys.
- Analysis of survey data.
- Excellent bird identification skills.
- Eagerness to learn about ornithology and wildlife legislation.
- Ability to work well within a small team.
- Reliability, flexibility, and a willingness to work unsociable hours and at remote site locations.
- Strong communication and organisation skills.
- Clean, full UK drivers licence.
- Working knowledge of GIS.
- Experience of species-specific and generic bird survey techniques.
- Protected species survey licence/s.
- Experience of protected species surveys.
- Experience of Extended Phase 1 Habitat Surveys/Preliminary Ecological Appraisals.
- Graduate/Associate/Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
BiOME offers a competitive salary package, as well as training opportunities.
To apply for this position, please send your CV, along with a covering letter, to email@example.com by 30th February 2020.
Diversity Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.